Just the word "lice" is enough to make most of scratch our head and raise our blood pressure. Margaret cho's lice song is hysterical so enjoy it for just that but there are many inaccuracies.
- Don't throw away your mattress. I had a client come in for a screening and she threw out her daughter's mattress because she was convinced she had head lice. The girl had nothing and even if she had lice, throwing out the mattress was way to much! Changing linens once would have done the job.
- Ice- Cho says to put your head on ice- I'm not so sure about this one, seems kind of dangerous. Lice don't have a season, they can live in winter and summer months.
- Throwing away hats- definitely not necessary. Don't throw anything away. Wash anything that was worn in hot water and or dry on high heat. You could also just put it away for a day or two. Lice don't live off of the head for more than one to two days.
- Fine tooth comb- now this is accurate. At Lice Be Gone we use a metal lice comb because the tong spacing is tight and even spaced.
- shaving heads- unless you are completely bald you can still have head lice. Lice have an easier time living in long hair but even the shortest buzz cut can accommodate head lice
- Lice can live anywhere, they are an equal opportunity parasite. With routine screenings the number of cases will decrease because it will be found and taken care of before spreading to others. Cho implies that lice more rampant in impoverished countries- simply not true!
Enjoy the song and know your lice facts.